Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Today's post is from a friend with CP. When I read her post it touched me, so she gave me permission to share it on my blog.

I am a confident person, but there's something about not living up to people's expectations of you whether you expect them are not. It feels weird being one of only two disabled people in Demi Lovato sound check and asking a question feeling like everyone is looking at you… Judging you. They expect you not say anything just because you're in a wheelchair, let alone say more than three words. There are stereotypes of disabled people, I probably break all of them, but I still feel like I am sometimes overlooked.So I do everything I can to get noticed because I know I will be the last to be noticed.

This young woman is the sweetest thing. She struggles to keep her life as normal and active as possible. She like myself does not feel sorry for herself. She wants to be accepted as a "normal" person who happens to be in a wheelchair.

Don't we all have disabilities? Ours are just visible which makes many people uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment